MC241353 – As communicated in MC220490 (August ’20), Microsoft 365 apps and services will be focusing their efforts on modern browser support over the coming year. As a result, Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) after August 17, 2021; after this date, Microsoft 365 apps and services will be unable to connect, or have a degraded feature experience, when accessed on IE11.
For a full list of Microsoft apps with intentions to end support on IE11, please see this Docs page.
Please note: The IE 11 changes are specific to Microsoft 365 apps and services. IE 11 remains a supported browser as a component of the Windows operating system and will follow the Lifecycle Policy for the product on which it is installed.
Microsoft 365 applications and services
- Timing: Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 after August 17, 2021.
- Microsoft Teams ended support on Internet Explorer 11 as of November 30, 2020.
- Action: To access Microsoft 365 apps and services, use Microsoft Edge, another supported browser, or an applicable Win-32 app (if available).
How this will affect your organization:
After the dates listed above, Microsoft 365 apps and services will need to be accessed via Microsoft Edge, another supported browser, or through an applicable Win-32 app (if available). The Microsoft Edge browser provides a faster, more responsive experience for Microsoft 365 apps and services. You can also still run business-critical, Internet Explorer-based apps and sites in Microsoft Edge through Internet Explorer mode.
What you need to do to prepare:
To address these announcements, upgrade to Microsoft Edge prior to August 17, 2021. Microsoft 365 apps and services will continue to support Microsoft Edge.
- If you’d like help upgrading your organization’s devices to Microsoft Edge, FastTrack can help with deployment and configuration at no additional charge for customers with eligible Microsoft 365 subscriptions.
- For help with web app and site compatibility, learn more about the App Assure program.
- You can download Microsoft Edge here.
- Read more about these changes in the Lifecycle announcement.
- Our blog also provides more information about these announcements.
We always value feedback and questions from our customers. Please feel free to submit either feedback or questions via Message Center.