MC250338 – As announced in MC237900 (February 2021), Microsoft is replacing the out-of-support Microsoft Edge Legacy application with the new Microsoft Edge as part of the April Windows 10 cumulative monthly security update, also known as the Update Tuesday (or “B”) release.
- Support for the Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application ended on March 9, 2021.
- When you apply this update to your devices, the new Microsoft Edge will be installed and the out-of-support Microsoft Edge Legacy will be removed.
- To avoid disruption to your kiosk scenarios, you will need to set up kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge.
When this will happen
The April Windows 10 Update Tuesday release will be available starting April 13, 2021.
How this will affect your organization
When you apply this update, the out-of-support Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application will be removed, and the new Microsoft Edge will be installed.
If you do not set up kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge prior to applying the April Windows 10 Update Tuesday release, you will experience a disruption in your kiosk scenarios because Microsoft Edge Legacy and its kiosk mode will no longer be available.
What you need to do to prepare
If you already have the new Microsoft Edge on your device(s), and have set up any needed kiosk scenarios, no action is needed.
- Transition to the supported, new Microsoft Edge browser before deploying the Windows 10 update or use the update to transition.
- To avoid disruption to your kiosk scenarios, you must set up kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge.
- Additional ways to upgrade to the new Microsoft Edge:
- Download the latest package from the Microsoft Edge business download page and deploy to your environment.
- Change management:
- You will want to notify your users of this change. Microsoft has adoption materials available.
- You may also want to update any applicable user training and prepare your help desk.
- For help transitioning to the new Microsoft Edge:
- K-12 education customers:
- After installing the new Microsoft Edge, additional configuration is required.