Starting July 1, 2021: Microsoft Graph will no longer consider the Office Delve privacy settings as part of the Item Insights controls.
The transition period for Office Delve and Item Insights privacy settings ends July 1, as stated previously (MC251870 April 2021). After July 1st, Microsoft Graph will no longer consider the Office Delve privacy settings as part of the Item Insights controls. After this change, all experiences in Microsoft 365 that are powered by Item Insights are controllable only by the Item Insights privacy settings..
How this will affect your organization:
Office Delve will continue to be controlled by the existing Delve settings (1) and (2) below, but these settings will no longer have any impact on other non-Delve experiences that are powered by Item Insights in Microsoft Graph. However, because Office Delve relies on Item Insights from Microsoft Graph, the Office Delve experience will be in a degenerate state if Item Insights are disabled via controls (3) through (5).
- (1) An organization-level control in SPO Admin Center to regulate accessibility of Office Delve for all users within organization. See Delve for admins.
- (2) A user-level control under Office Delve Feature Setting to regulate visibility of individual user documents. See Are my documents safe in Delve? on how to configure this in the Delve app, and userSettings resource type on how to configure this using the Microsoft Graph API. Item Insights are controllable using the following settings:
Item Insights are controllable using the following settings:
- (3) An organization-level control to regulate availability of item insights for all users within the organization. This is the isEnabledInOrganization property of the itemInsightsSettings resource in Microsoft Graph API, or (NEW!) the Item Insights toggle in Microsoft Admin Center Search & Intelligence configurations. See how to customize item insights at organization-level.
- (4) A group-level control to regulate availability of item insights for all users who are members of a specified Azure AD group. This is controlled by the disabledForGroup property of the itemInsightsSettings resource, or (NEW!) the Item Insights UI element in Microsoft Admin Center Search & Intelligence configurations. See how to customize item insights at group-level.
- (5) (NEW!) A user-level control in MyAccount to regulate availability of user Item Insights, also available for configuration through the isEnabled property of the userInsightsSettings in Microsoft Graph API. This setting is only available in tenants where Item Insights are enabled (ref 3) and the user is not member of the disabled group (ref 4). See how item insights are being calculated, displayed in Microsoft 365 and controlled.
At Microsoft, they have taken a snapshot of your current Office Delve privacy controls (1) and (2), and they copied these settings to the corresponding Item Insights settings (3) and (5). This means that if Office Delve was disabled in the organization, then Item Insights will start off as disabled. Similarly, if Office Delve was disabled for a specific user, then Item Insights will start off as disabled for that user.
What you need to do to prepare:
- If you have previously disabled Office Delve for either the organization or a user, Microsoft strongly recommend you review the Item Insights settings (3) through (5) to make sure that the snapshot that they copied on your behalf still has the right values set. Pay particular attention to the status of the user-level setting (5) for inactive soft-deleted users.
- If you have previously disabled Office Delve but you have always wanted to leverage Item Insights of Microsoft Graph in other experiences, now is the time! Configure Item Insights as enabled in your organization (3), disable it for any required subset of users (4), and invite your users to take control of their own contributions to Item Insights via control (5).
- You should consider notifying your users about this new capability of configuring Item Insights for themselves (5) and update your training and documentation as appropriate.