MC240066 – Updated April 09, 2021: Based on learnings from our early rings, Microsoft has made the decision to make additional changes before they proceed with the rollout. Microsoft will update this Message center post once they re-start the rollout. Thank you for your patience.
Your SharePoint modern communication and team sites will soon feature the SharePoint app bar which provides quick access to customizable global navigation as well as other intranet resources. The SharePoint app bar makes important content and resources easily accessible for users on these sites, regardless of where they might be in SharePoint.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 70576
- Microsoft will update this post with timing once available.
- Roll-out: tenant and user level
- Action: review and assess
How this affects your organization
Users access the SharePoint app bar from the upper left-hand side of the browser on the SharePoint start page and throughout modern SharePoint sites. The SharePoint app bar improves global wayfinding and dynamically displays personalized content for sites, news, and files.
The app bar features customizable global navigation that leads to important intranet resources. Personalized content, news and files, is driven by Microsoft Graph and cannot be customized.
What you need to do to prepare
Please review these admin notes in the support document.
If you take no action, the new SharePoint app bar will appear on your SharePoint modern communication and team sites. Until you customize it, the global nav entry point will refer your users to their SharePoint start page.
- You can temporarily disable the SharePoint app bar until October 31, 2021 in your tenant to prepare for this change or to control its rollout to users.
- Customizing the global navigation tab requires that you have an organization home site. Learn how to set up a home site. You can set up a home site just for global navigation.