MC261534 – Updated June 15, 2021: Microsoft has updated the content below for additional clarity. Thank you for your feedback
When you create a team in Microsoft Teams, a SharePoint team site will automatically get created in tandem and you are also able to connect any existing SharePoint team site to a new team in Microsoft Teams. These are called Microsoft Teams connected team sites.
For private channels in Microsoft Teams, a SharePoint team site automatically gets created and is known as a channel site. These Teams connected team sites and channel sites are managed differently than your typical SharePoint team site.
Microsoft is making small updates to the viewing and management experience of Teams connected team sites and channel sites to simplify the end-user experience.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 81945.
- Timing: This will roll out for Targeted release (select users and entire organization) beginning in late June and be complete by early July. Standard release will begin in mid-July and be complete by early August.
- Rollout: tenant level
- Control type: user control
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization
The below updates to the viewing and management experience of Teams connected team sites and channel sites will simplify the end-user experience in the following ways:
- Updates to managing site classification and site permissions:
- New visual updates to the SharePoint team site header:
- Updated Go to Channel banner in document libraries:The Go to Channel link has been updated to consistently be available in the command bar when viewing document libraries, while removing the additional banner that was occupying space in the library.
- Simplified SharePoint team sites:This update improves the template utilized for the channel sites by having the classic SharePoint features off-by-default and will employ the full capabilities of the modern team site.
What you need to do to prepare
You might want to notify your users about this new capability and update your training and documentation as appropriate.