MC229945 – Updated April 27, 2021: Microsoft has updated the rollout timeline below. Thank you for your patience.
Microsoft is simplifying the calling experience in the Teams desktop app (Windows and Mac) by providing a streamlined view that combines contacts, voicemail, and calling history.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 68771
- Timing: early May (previously April) through the end of May (previously April)
- Roll-out: user level roll-out v tenant level
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization
When your users update the Teams desktop app, they will see the new calling experience. A streamlined view shows contacts, voicemail, and calling history at once, making it easier to initiate or return a call with a single click.
Additional enhancements that are coming to Teams Calling:
- CarPlay support for Teams Calling
- Teams Admins can take advantage of the Teams and OneDrive or SharePoint integration and make OneDrive or SharePoint the default calls recording storage location, in lieu of Stream.
- Teams will identify potential spam calls and digitally attest to outgoing calls to prevent them from being rejected by external recipients.
What you need to do to prepare
You might want to notify your users about this new capability and update your training and documentation as appropriate.